Thursday, February 21, 2008

Discipling my daughter

Was inspired by another pastor and blogger awhile back to begin discipling my own children. By this I mean I'm spending intentional one on one time with them where we focus on specific spiritual "challenges" (I'll explain). I have four kids - so this will be a alot for me! However, I've decided I would start when each one turns 8, and continue until the 13th birthday. So this will help spread it out for me since my kids span different ages. Have met with my oldest daughter (who is 8) twice now. It's been really cool. Let her pick out her own Bible (she had a kids type one - but I helped her pick out a new one in a modern translation - it's pink!). She also picked another book to read. I pick her up from school on Fridays, we go to a donut/ice cream place, and we spend an hour together. During this time we discuss 4 challenges each week - 1) Bible challenge - where she reads at least a chapter of the Bible and we discuss what she learned (we're doing John right now), 2) Prayer challenge - where she decides on things she wants to pray for during the week, 3) Serve challenge - where she decides one thing she will do to serve another person during the week, and 4) Intellectual challenge - where she reads another book and we discuss it. Right now we're reading "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis. She keeps a journal of what we're doing. Gotta say - over the next few years I'll spend 200-250 times with her like this AND I love what it will do for our relationship and her relationship with God.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

That's really, really awesome, John. Very inspiring for me and Scott.......................one of these days. =)

Anonymous said...

You are doing the right thing. Some of my fondest memories are of my daddy taking me to Krystal every Saturday. We bonded over those little square hamburgers. We may not have talked religion but in the many long years since he's been gone and since I was a child, those one-on-one times mean the world to me. Because he loved me.

Justin Wallace said...

John this is an incredible idea. I can't believe she is eight already! It sounds like you are working hard to steer your family in the right direction. I encourage you in this and lift up you and yours in prayer. Miss you guys a lot! God bless, Justin

Amy Kenney said...

I'm gonna be honest....reading this blog made me cry just a little...I'm turning into mom...but I'm just saying it's so awesome to imagine you and morg sitting there and doing that. Love you bro!