Monday, May 21, 2007

Extreme Room Makeover

This past weekend my kids were gone with grandparents and my wife and I "made over" our girls' room. I spent the day hanging shelves, putting down a new carpet, and even "stamping" (at least that's what my wife told me it is called) butterflies all over the walls. What suprised me about this whole experience was how excited I was for my little girls to come home and see their new room. I wanted to see and hear their reaction. In a strange, but real way ... it made me realize how much I love them. I didn't want a "thank you" or anything like that from them ... I just wanted them to enjoy their new room.

This has caused me to think about the reasons I "do things" for people. Is it because I really love them in this same way, or is it because I just want to be noticed, thanked, etc. Kind of sobering and humbling to think about really. Causes me to question my motives, etc. If I'm honest, I will have to admit that I often do things to be noticed and praised - not simply to demonstrate love.

It's funny how little things like an "extreme room makeover" can challenge you spiritually.

No comments: