Monday, June 18, 2007

A BIG DAY


Last Monday was a big day for me. I was ordained an "elder" in The United Methodist Church (UMC). Basically, this means that after completing seminary and then a 3 year process of examination, The UMC affirms my call to be in mission and ministry as a pastor. In many ways this process has felt like jumping through "hoops" ... if you've ever had to do anything like that. But I was surprised at how meaningful the day ended up feeling to me. It was pretty overwhelming, to be honest. It made me think that this might be how it feels for a marathon runner - you know - running and running and running - never feeling like the finish line will arrive - but then it finally does. I've never run a marathon, but I think I kind of know what it must feel like.

Note: I don't usually wear a "robe" - but it was required for this day and so I did. Just wanted to let those of you know who don't usually see me dressed like this, what I was wearing! The robe has been around for a significant period of time and has certain meaning. However, I have chosen not to wear the robe in my ministry and context.

No comments: